This parent/child course could be the most crucial step towards success in life for a child with learning challenges.
Self-advocacy is one of the most critical, yet under taught, skills that students needs to make sure they are getting the required support in school. This course will teach you:
- What is Self-advocacy
- Understanding why you need to learn this skill
- Learning what supports are available
- Learning how and when to ask for those supports
- Problem solving when supports are not provided
This course is meant for students who have a 504 or IEP and are in a public school setting where then need to ask for accommodations and modifications. The parent can watch the course and do the exercises with the child, or the parent and child can watch the course together.
This course includes 11 videos and 12 printable handouts.
Watch an introductory video for this course:
- Welcome! & How this Course Works
- Lesson 1: What is Self-advocacy
- Lesson 2: Understanding Your Disability
- Lesson 3: How to Talk to Your Child About His Disability
- Lesson 4: Learn About Your IEP or 504 Plan
- Lesson 5: Understanding Accommodations & Modifications
- Lesson 6: Accommodation Summary Sheet
- Lesson 7: Inform the Teachers About Accommodations & Modifications
- Lesson 8: Track Your Child’s Self-advocacy Skills
- Lesson 9: What to do When Teachers Won’t Help
- Extra Support